This 20th Publication by the Society, celebrating the 2000 Millennium, is undoubtedly one of the best the society has yet produced. With nearly 400 photographs and illustrations and 189 pages it traces the history of the Turton district from pre-historic and Roman times.
From the Entwistle point of view there is an excellent section with photographs on Entwistle Township, along with sections on the townships of Bradshaw, Edgworth, Harwood, Longworth, Quarlton and Turton.
Extract from the book – Chapter VII – THE TOWNSHIP OF ENTWISTLE
“Situated in the north eastern corner of Turton district, the Township of 1868 acres is roughly divided by Cadshaw Brook to the west and Broadhead Brook to the east and bounded by Crandberry and Aushaw Mosses to the north and the junction of Bradshaw and Broadhead Brooks to the south. The main central valley of the Whittlestone Head Brook is overlooked by Black Hill on the west and Soot Hill to the north-east, both at more than 1000 feet above sea level.
“The Township of Entwistle or Hennetwisel appears to have been formed in the early 1200s from the Manor of Entwistle already held by the Entwistle family of the Hospitallers together with a settlement of lands to Robert de Entwistle on his marriage to the daughter of William de Radcliffe which were part of the de Radcliffe’s earlier enlarged Manor of Edgworth. It is possible that this amalgamation of two previously separate areas led to the terms “Old Living” and “New Living”, each “Living” being made up of a number of farmsteads.
“Entwistle Hall is reputed to have been built in 1200 and remained the residence of the Entwistle Family until 1555 when the estate passed to the Tyldesleys. Sir Bertine Entwistle who was knighted for his valour in fighting at Agincourt in 1415 was born at Entwistle Hall and on his return built his New Hall, being Lower House or possibly Lower Crow Trees, latterly a farmhouse until demolition for the Wayoh Reservoir enlargement. Sir Bertine was killed in 1455 during the Wars of the Roses. Entwistle Hall itself was built in the early 1600s and since 1657 has been divided into three tenements.”